Myth: Hospice is only for people with cancer.

You are struggling with the realities of an end-stage illness, and you could use some help. You know a cancer patient who received excellent care from hospice, but are unsure if other types of late-stage illnesses are “eligible” for hospice care.

Yes! Only about 40% of hospice patients have cancer; the other 60% have all types of progressive diseases, including heart, lung, kidney, vascular and neurological diseases, as well as AIDS, dementia and Alzheimer’s. Patients range in age from newborns to those who are more than 100 years old.

Not everything you hear about hospice care is true.